I love capturing children and their personalities, their behaviour is part of that. I love capturing kids that run wild, are shy and who love the camera, but I understand that as a parent it can be stressful. You have booked the photographer, picked out the outfits, and you just want to ensure that you get the family photos you were looking for. I am here to help with preparing kids for a family photoshoot.
These are a few tips to help.
- Depending on the time of the shoot and how old your child is you might let your child nap. I usually schedule sessions an hour or so before sunset, this can make the session quite late in the day.
- Give your child a snack or meal before the session, but also take some food and water that isn’t messy to eat in case the child is hungry. Its Texas, so it will probably be hot – take water for everyone!
- The shoot will be fun, but it can be nice to plan something fo afterwards to make a day of it. Somewhere nice for dinner, ice cream or a treat.
- Make sure your child is comfortable in their outfit, and the outfit is suitable for the weather, you don’t want them to be too hot or too cold.
- Before the session talk to your children and explain what we have planned, if they are old enough you can also explain your expectations for their behaviour.
- Let your child smile naturally, the best way to get genuine smiles is to have fun, so we will make the session fun and capture your child’s natural expression.
- Relax and have fun, children feel the tension coming from their parents, so if you relax and enjoy yourself they will too.
I hope that these tips for preparing kids for a family photoshoot has helped. You may be interested in my other blogs https://clairethomphotography.com/2020/09/24/where-to-have-your-katy-tx-photo-session/.
And my suggestions on what to wear for a family photoshoot https://www.pinterest.com/clairethom7/pins/